Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day Tribute.

It's Mother's Day. I'm a ways away from my dear mom today, which means that I can't give her a great big hug like I'd like to. So in an attempt to make up for it a little bit, this is her little tribute.

My mom and I share a unique friendship. If there's any earthly being that knows more about myself than I do, it's her. We have the same sense of humor, similar perspectives on most everything, and similar patterns of thinking. We share a lot of opinions, and enjoy many of the same activities. Although I've been living away from her the last couple of years, I really have missed her immensely here in London! I often joke to my friends and roommates that I wish I had a "pocket mom" because I want her to see everything I'm seeing and have some of the same experiences. I miss laughing with her over absolutely nothing, to the point where our bodies start shaking silently and then I begin my horrible habit of snorting as I laugh. I want her to come to Wicked and Les Mis in London with me, just like when we went to the Lion King in Vegas fairly recently. I want to hear her advice about the seven thoughts simultaneously going through my head at any given time. I want to help her pick out her outfits and jewelry and shoes! I want to eat a whole watermelon with her. I want to hear her call me a dork when I say something stupid. The list goes on, and on, and on.

This incredible woman not only teaches me what I need to learn, but she shows me. She's definitely one to "walk the walk." Lately I've been especially grateful for that; I know that I can always look to her example for answers. I also know that I could ask her advice about anything at all, and I'd feel comfortable trusting every word she said. She's a pure genius.

My favorite quote (although some may consider it to be over-emphasized) as of late is by President Monson: "Never let a problem to be solved become more important than person to be loved." I recently told my mother, in all sincerity, that she lives by that quote. She would humbly disagree, but I know by watching her my entire life that it's true. She loves others more than she loves herself, and she acts on it. She is very sensitive to the feelings of other people; she's an expert at making sure that everyone around her is happy and content. She takes the time out of her crazy schedule to be with her children one-on-one, just to make sure that we know how much we're loved. She'll never know how much that means to each of us. The older I get and the more people I meet, the more I realize how rare it is for someone to be as selfless as she is. I've got a lot to live up to when I'm a mother!

Remember how the other day I mentioned that I had taken several photos, and that they were coming soon? Those photos are part of this little tribute. Although it's not much at all, I wanted to give my mom a little piece of London for Mother's Day...












Happy Mother's Day, Mom! I love you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment