Friday, April 27, 2012

London Eye, Tower, Westminister Abbey, Covent Gardens, Hyde Park...

What a day. Today was the first day of classes: Shakespeare and British Theatre. I haven't gotten around to buying a little battery-operated alarm clock yet (since the English hardly believe in electrical sockets, at least in this apartment), so Hadley woke me up fifteen minutes before we had to leave this morning! I have to admit, I was off to a bit of a rough start. I wasn't feeling too great and for the first time I was feeling a bit homesick, but luckily that only lasted a few hours. Meghan patched it up by taking me to the London Tower (again), Big Ben, the London Eye, and Westminister Abbey. I loved spending some time getting to know her story and finding out more about the city at the same time.










Thanks to Meghan's hankering for some  macaroons, we made our way to Covent Garden, which was very enjoyable! We saw all sorts of things. They have a little market full of food and clothes and crazy people putting on crazy acts and musicians and people pretending to be statues... it was really great. I'll definitely be going back there. We couldn't find any macaroons there, but ended finding them at a little pastry shop right on our street on the way home from the tube. I absolutely love the markets here. In fact, I'll be waking up early to go to Borough Market tomorrow.






In the afternoon, Pres. Alan Phillips (stake president of the wards we'll be attending) met with us to assign us to certain wards. By the sound of things, these wards are going to be quite the cultural experience and I'm going to be a little white girl in the minority. Yes! Bring it on.

After the meeting, we (Caroline, Brittany, Joselyn, McKenzie, Janessa, Kyla, Tim, and myself) took off to Hyde Park to seek out the Peter Pan statue, and ended up taking a very nice and very long walk around town. Once we couldn't quiet our famished stomachs anymore, we took the tube back to Gloucester Road and tried out the famous London fish 'n' chips. I've never had them in America, but they were sure gooood here. I tried to ignore the fact that I probably could've filled half a mason jar with the grease they contained, and then I could enjoy them.







  Mom, I know you love these, so I ate enough for the both of us. Don't worry. :)

I'm completely exhausted and I've got a busy day tomorrow, so that's all I've got time for. Just know that I miss all you family and friends of mine; I wish I could bring you here. Hope everyone's doing well! Talk to you all soon.

-Cass

5 comments:

  1. Someone said aloha today and it made me miss you even more!! lookin good beautiful! enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rinney! I keep thinking about my dear roommates and best friends and I seriously can't wait to see you again. Thanks, hope you're enjoying yourself too! Miss you!!

      Delete
  2. Great blogging Cass! It looks like you are having a great time and I'm so glad. Keep writing, we will be watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mac! Lemme know when you can Skype!

      Delete
  3. I love reading about your adventures...great photos too!

    ReplyDelete